Type of Appliances
Orthodontists will treat patients who need help correcting certain problems, such as misaligned teeth, overbite/under-bite, or too much space between the teeth. Orthodontic appliances come in many variations – some being fixed and some being removable. They serve various purposes, from active treatment to maintenance. Some of the most commonly used orthodontic appliances include:
- Braces/Aligners – either fixed or removable; used to gently reposition the teeth into better alignment
- Retainers – used to prevent teeth from shifting to a prior position
- Splints – used to reposition the jaw, especially in TMJ patients
- Space maintainers – either fixed or removable; used to hold the space where a primary tooth once was until a permanent one can erupt
- Bumpers – used to maintain space and relieve pressure between the teeth and the lips or cheeks.